Monday, November 09, 2009

Red Linen



Finally have time to start working on the draft I did a few months ago. Is red linen and I decided to have a hand at trapunto. My initial design for the quilting was too intricate for my basic machine set up (w/ out a free-motion foot; I've lost all feet and am left with a zipper foot, will replace feet as money allows). So, I made up the machine quilting on the fly. In the process, I re-used pillow innards as the batting. This was not the best move. In ripping out chunks of batting, getting them even was a challenge but I didn't really know that until I was done quilting. Subsequently, the left side is a little puckered, the right side is nice and smooth. The left side is also where I made the design change part way through so, it shows.
Other issues: the front placket was originally going to be a busk, but I don't have the correct busk length in stock right now, so I eliminated the other side's placket and just stitched the whole thing together. Which is fine, except that it isn't cut exactly on the center grain, and I can see that, and it's irritating me. Next time, I'll take my time instead of doing my cutting all willy-nilly.

No comments: