Sunday, March 21, 2010

Still Cleaning

Process
The studio is still in the throws of being re-organized. Or perhaps, actually organized. Well, organized for this incarnation, for it actually "comes together and falls apart" [a quote from Pema Chodron] over and over again. What I noticed last night is that the paper I have falls into a few categories: For Scrapbooking; Visual Reference Material; Collage Material; Business Materials; Project Outlines; Stationary; Loose Journal Entries; Other Writing; Blog Reference Material; and Dead Files that I keep but cannot recall why. Additionally, the Visual Reference Material tends to go stale as it is subject to trends that once incorporated in my world view, are no longer necessary to hold onto. Some reference material of that nature is also repetitive, as I tend to collect the things I'm drawn to over and over: eyes, cats, bats, chandeliers, far-away places and cool clothing. The point is to collect far less of it and move on. Thankfully, most of what I had can be let go or was recycling on its way out the door to begin with.


The objects I have, while many, are not so many and of such significant variety that they are infinite in variety or defy categories or organization. I've been cursing the space, the objects and my self when in fact, once contained, I own a smattering of art & craft supplies that are very enjoyable. I used to think that organization was anathema to creation. It had reached a point where disorganization was preventing me from moving forward as an artist as well as a person. It feels really good to make decisions and start looking at less.

No comments: