Saturday, November 18, 2006

'Git Along, Little Needle

Needles & Cowboys
When I went in to the procedure room on Monday morning and lay down on the table the nurse came in to put an IV in my arm and I told her that I have very difficult veins to tap. She tapped and drew blood twice, but couldn’t thread the tip of the IV and went to fetch some guy in scubs who I believe may have been my anesthesiologist. While the first nurse had been very gentle and tried not to hurt me, the man in scrubs pulled a stool up like he was about to milk a cow, wheeled himself over to my arm and declared, “Ain’t a horse that can’t be rode, ain’t a cowboy that can’t be throwed. I used to ride rodeo and this is what we said.” I was pretty certain that I should have been worried, but by this point I was about to faint and was begging for a Valium. Yee-haw.
I looked the quote up but even though I found it buried in some Foghat lyrics, (There Ain't No Man That Can't Be Caught,) the quote itself looks to be older than this. I don’t know if I had an anesthesiologist who listens to Foghat (something I gave up for my eighteenth birthday,) or if he really rode rodeo at some point. Oh, yeah, and he tapped my vein on the first try. Ouch!

No comments: