Thursday, November 16, 2006

Surgery & Pattern

Monday morning, quite early I might add, I had surgery for carpel tunnel on my left wrist. Sewing, playing guitar, etc. was increasingly difficult and I had lost about 10% of feeling in my middle finger. At this point, three days out from the surgery, I can't say whether or not I'll regain all feeling since I am now dealing with the recovery process. I am supposed to have the right wrist done two weeks from now, but I may cancel it to focus on healing the left first. I would not recommend to anybody having both done simultaneously, not unless you have someone who can feed you, brush your teeth for you and drive you everywhere for about two weeks. This is a fairly painful process.
On my way back from the procedure I stopped at the fabric store and grabbed an intriguing pattern for three corsets: Butterick B4254 for late 18th c. stays, laced two ways, and two 19th c. corsets, one with cups, one w/out, (for four separate looks in total.) It's a lovely pattern and I can't wait to be able to sew again! If you are asking yourself why I don't simply draft everything, the answer is simple: I've learned most of what I know from commercial patterns and highly recommend using them as you begin your own corset-making journey.
This weekend I also picked up another antique, hand-carved dye block from the Indian import boutique.
Still waiting to hear the verdict from the arts committee regarding studio space.

No comments: