Friday, October 14, 2011

Featured Etsy Seller: LoveLaurie

There are some things that just send me into spasms of delight, and this is one of them.


  


When I was a very small person, I used to love things that were out of scale: tiny menageries of faux mice cavorting in their dollhouse milieu or super- gigantic tissue paper flowers on wooden dowels.  LoveLaurie ‘s pin cushion is an equally dreamy item, not so much for it’s scale as it’s texture.   I purchased this pin cushion after doing an Etsy search for “black velvet pin cushion” expecting no results.  To my surprise, there it was!  The black velvet pin cushion I’d been wishing for!  Filled with (get this!) black emery sand!  I ordered one right away and it came lickity-split.  I adore this pin cushion.  I do have 3 others, but none compares to this.
First, it’s black, which is just cool, and it’s elegantly made of velvet, my favorite material.
Then, the emery sand makes it heavy, so it doesn’t roll around.  I often use it as an extra pattern weight.  I love the sage green flossing and tomato topper and I love its strawberry companion, also made of matching black velvet.  
I love the bold, little “Sewing is the New Black!” sign post.  This small signage has a nod to a practical purpose: by fitting some flat-head pins of your own with small, hand-made signs, you can create sectors in your pin cushion for hand needles as well as machine needles to keep track of needle type (ball point, leather, top stitch, heavy) and weights (80, 90) and # of hours used.  
I included this pin cushion in my first Treasury, “Midnight Traveler” and encourage everyone to stop by  LoveLaurie's shop for a pin cushion.  There are plenty of others to choose from.  Who couldn't love Laurie?! 
    
                    -  J

No comments: