Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pat's Stripes Dress


I confess to having this ultra-80‘s-cool, red & black stripe in my hoard of fabric since sometime in 1990.  I first purchased it to make my boyfriend at the time, Pat, a tunic or something.  Then, we broke up and I still had 7 yards of it.  I stuffed it in a bag at the back of my closet.  We got back together. Then, we broke up.  Then, we moved in together.  Great! One red & black tunic and a matching dress coming right up!  Then, we broke up, yet again.  Back into my closet it went, un-cut. 
Suddenly, in the mid-2000‘s, Pat passed away. And so, this 6-7 yard hunk of fabric that essentially reminded me so much of him got shoved to the very bottom of my stash.  I thought I might Etsy it someday, but I never did.
This is my second attempt at “Red” this week.  The first attempt requires a zipper which I just don’t feel like buying because I know I have one someplace and time is getting short.  I didn’t think I had any more red fabric to work with, but I looked under my table and there was a this bag filled with stripes.  Next to it was a fresh pattern that called for stretch knit fabric.  Serendipitous!


The actual fit and measurements on the pattern envelope get a straight-up ‘F’.  I keep my current measurements taped to my door for easy reference.  I select multi-sized patterns and cut the lower half on the larger sizes, and cut the bust line according to whatever Simplicity/McCalls/Burda/Vogue says I am today.  The girls fell right out in a test fitting, so I recut the bust pieces larger, messed them up in the serger, and re-cut again.
Did I mention I hate re-do’s??  And re-re-do’s???  I mean, of the same project, of course!
Pattern: Khaliah Ali Collection Simplicity 2947
Fabric: Long-held stash, elastic & thread: stash; etc.
Mods: Added micro-netting to the bust-line to vamp it up a bit.
Final Cost: $3.53:  $1 for the pattern; $2.53 for a netting remnant (purchased about 10 years ago, tag still on) 
Time to Complete: Forever
Wore: For photos
Wear Again: Yes! after the sleeves have been re-set so they don’t fall off
Make again: Yes!  (but not from stripes)

No comments: